Top 10 Wishes for 2021

2021-01-17

As I write this, there are scant few hours left in the year 2020, the annus horribilis. In the spirit of everlasting hope and boundless optimism, here’s to 2021 being a better year.

In the spirit of the new year and resolutions, here are my top 10 things I would like to see happen in EVE to make 2021 a great year.

1. Respect for the players. I am not alone in the perception that CCP has a certain disdainful view of their player base. Preemptively dismissing any player feedback to changes left the player base with a rather poor taste in their mouth. Of the tens of thousands of people that play this game, there are a lot of incredibly smart people. Even if CCP disagrees, they can interact with their players with less arrogance than the Goa’uld.
  2. Empress Jamyl to come back. I really, really want this and don’t care how. She just needs to come back. I still haven’t gotten over her brutal murder at the hands of CCP devs Drifters.
  3. Something to be done about cloaking. My recent article on cloaking garnered more comments than any other piece INN ran this year.  Clearly there are strong feelings on both sides of the argument.  However, I think that it’s pretty clear something must be done about cloaking.
  4. Better PVE. PVE in EVE is the worst in any MMO I’ve ever played. It’s repetitive, basic, boring, and mind-numbing. Sadly, making a better PVE experience might be a project taking years while game systems are revamped, but CCP can get started in 2021.
  5. More massive supercapital brawls! M2 was a great way to end 2020 with a bang. 254 bangs to be exact, plus many smaller bangs. Great job to everyone involved.
  6. Empress Catiz to be replaced by the resurrected Empress Jamyl. Do I need to explain this? Catiz is a bust of an Empress. Saint Jamyl was a dynamic figure that was great for the storyline.
  7. Weekly downtime! The moonshot of my wish list. I hope that 2021 brings the end of daily downtime and a change to a weekly maintenance cycle. If CCP wants to get universal love from all the players, this is the way.
  8. Fixing titans and supercarriers. Ideally, everyone with a titan and/or a supercarrier would wake up one day with a pile of minerals in their hangar where an overpowered ship was. Since that won’t happen, CCP should keep paring them down to something less than overpowered.  The economy isn’t the issue; the ships are the issue. As long as titans retain their apex advantage, people will keep building as many as they can.
  9. A better server. The EVE server is the best, but fighter command in time dilation is the worst. The server can always be better. This should not take away from the fact that the server held up extremely well in the battle of M2.
  10. This isn’t EVE related at all, but I want to be able to kill people with my mind. Do you, dear reader, have any idea how much less stress I would have to endure if I could do this?! Immoral: yes. Unethical: absolutely. Illegal: extremely. Satisfying: very. The next time I dealt with a Karen, I would stop having to deal with a Karen.

Well, here’s to a better 2021 to everyone.

Comments

• Revered

1. logi on killmails

January 17, 2021 at 8:37 AM
  • Jacob Reynoso

Great list.

I definitely want Empress Jamyl Sarum to return. I’m not sure, tho’, if I want her to return ‘simply’ as Empress of Amarr, tho’.
    I’m inclined to think that any return will involve the Triglavians somehow. Still a bit fuzzy on the whole Trigs and their relation (if any) to the Drifters/Sleepers and the Other in Jamyl’s head. It would/could be an interesting story if(when!) Jamyl does reappear, alive (and hopefully free of the Other)…and maybe in charge of the Trigs (or a part of it).
    I imagine there’d be plenty of room for player events, hopefully with more nuance than the recent Trig/EDENCOM thing.
    Maybe, an event that can lead to Catiz being replaced by a resurrected Empress Jamyl. And/Or an Amarr Empire divided between the current leadership, and one that believes that Empress Jamyl is a living saint. Maybe her part of the Empire could ‘require’ positive Triglavian standing to safely navigate, if they go w/ Empress Jamyl having a role within the Triglavians.

Better means for earning standings for the Triglavian faction wouid be nice, too. Tie that in to better PvE. More story and more voice acting would be nice.
    On a related note, I made a couple of new characters recently, and found the player tutorial…’dry’. It works, I guess, but it felt like there wasn’t much effort put into it. I remember an old tutorial that tried to give you a taste of the ‘better things’ in EVE. One that included a somewhat large PvE battle, and even capsule destruction.
    The SoE Epic Arc could also do with improvements, too.

January 17, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    • Guilford Australis Jacob Reynoso

The return of Jamyl could be easy from a lore standpoint. Empyrians are immortal thanks to Jovian capsule technology, which sears their memories and skills into a new clone at the instant they die. CCP could explain that the Amarr Empire used Jovian technology to prepare a clone for Jamyl in a top-secret facility on the fringes of Amarr space, where she was resurrected when she died. She remained in hiding due to the drifter threat, but ultimately decided to return to the throne to face the Triglavians (or whatever plot point).

But it won’t happen, because players want it, it would be easy to implement, and CCP loves nothing more than making a condescending show of ignoring easy things they know players want so they can focus all their energy on dumb crap no one wants (e.g. point 1 in the article).

January 17, 2021 at 11:19 AM
  • Simon Chui

I want highsec battleship pve content for alpha clones. And by that I don’t mean mining in my Rokh. The fancy toy should be the reward, and the content should be the chore, right? They let us have the toy, but we have to omega to get the chores, wtf.

January 17, 2021 at 11:10 AM
  • Guilford Australis

I agree with this list. My additional wishes for 2021 are:

(1). CCP stops taking credit for player-created events (WWB) that their design decisions arguably did more to inhibit than to enable;

(2). A return to some reasonable level of reward for PVE, if the PVE experience itself can’t be overhauled;

(3). PGL and Vily to go on vacation for the rest of the year someplace where the local government bans access to Reddit and Talking in Stations.

January 17, 2021 at 11:38 AM
  • Deni'z von Meanace

1. Return of the Jovians
    2. Reworked missions
    3. Bring Niarja Back!
    4. Pirate destroyers and battlecruisers

January 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM
  • Moridin Mandarb

Titans and supers can be addressed real easily.
    1. Eliminate HAWs. Dumbest idea ever. Capital ships only function should be to destroy other capital ships or structures.
    2. Create a Heavy Bomber. Think of the Tier 3 BCs (Naga, Tornado, etc) but make it BS class. Light on armor, slow, with bad tracking using capital guns. Only purpose is to hunt capital ships, can be easily killed with normal subcaps (so they have to be defended to be used)

And I don’t agree about making PvE more interesting. Most of us play Eve for the thing it provides over all other MMOs – the people, the intrigue, the reality – null sec. PvE is just a way to fund other things that are enjoyable. Making it more interesting means more time doing PvE things instead of what we play Eve for – PvP. Any of us can go to any other number of MMOs for PvE content. PvP in Eve is why we play.

January 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    • Nate Hunter Moridin Mandarb

1. HAWs are a problem and so is siege and triage modules and most AOE modules are OP in certain situations so much that CCP has resulted to gimmick adjustments to prevent some of the situations like no lance in lowsec or nerfing the crap out of rally point spawn times

January 18, 2021 at 11:06 PM
  • kwnyupstate .

Make supers need to be cored monthly or they go away.

January 17, 2021 at 9:23 PM
  • I’m a little surprised they let No. 10 go in unedited!

January 18, 2021 at 10:55 PM
  • Nate Hunter

In regards to your number 4, a boss type pve battle instance that you have to move around to avoid damage or to have the player trigger effects that damage the boss would be cool.

I hope that CCP will redesign aegis sov and redo the ADM system. Especially with the activity induced scarcity that we now have (DBS) it works in total conflict with the ADM system and that is infuriating.

January 18, 2021 at 11:13 PM
  • Un-fuck nullsec mining so that it’s actually possible to do some degree of autonomous production in nullsec. I get it: they want large-scale economic activity to require trade. But that doesn’t mean we should be stuck with literally NO SOURCES OF TRIT anywhere in 0.0 space: it’s just fucking dumb. Sure– you could make it so that the majority of trit must be sourced elsewhere. Make it so you can’t log in your 20 Rorquals for a couple of weeks and build yourself a titan. But 100% definitely for-sure I should be able to go mine in a few barges and be able to build myself some T1 frigates and cruisers (maybe a BC or two?) at the end of the day for my efforts. Autonomous production of small-scale industry stuff should be possible in nullsec.

January 19, 2021 at 1:17 AM