CCP has announced today the beginning of the CSM election cycle for CSM 17. The application period for those interested in participating as a candidate begins May 2 and closes May 16. The voting period will be from June 7-14, and results will be announced on June 16.
Big Updates to the Process
CCP has introduced a number of updates to the CSM election process this year, many of which should offer significant quality-of-life improvements for candidates.
- CSM members will not be expected to travel to Iceland, and the ability to travel to Iceland is not a requirement for CSM candidacy.
- Instead of creating a forum thread to start their candidacy, players who would like to stand for election will first apply to CCP directly for candidate status.
- Applications for candidacy will be processed by CCP within 72 hours of submission and the applicant will be notified of whether or not they are eligible and have been accepted as a candidate.
- After they are accepted as a candidate by CCP, candidates will create their forum thread and start their campaign.
These last changes in particular seem designed to avoid the kind of embarrassing circumstance that has occurred in previous election cycles where played have publicly announced their intention to stand for election, begun their campaign, and only later been notified that they are not eligible.
Several Previous Members Ineligible to Run for CSM17
For CSM17, several previous members have reached the three-term limit that was announced during the CSM15 election cycle. They will not be eligible to stand for CSM election again until they have sat out for at least one year. The list includes the following members:
The Full Timeline
The full timeline for the CSM17 election cycle is presented below. For full details, refer to the CCP announcement.
- 2-16 May – Submissions Open
- 9-20 May – Application Processing
- 25 May – Live candidate announcement
- 25 May-5 June – Campaign period
- 7-14 June – Voting period
- 16 June – CSM17 Announcement