Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn Arrives

Robby Kasparic 2017-09-21

The latest story pack for Paradox’s Stellaris has arrived. Titled Synthetic Dawn, the new content allows players to take the helm of a race comprised of artificial life forms. Become the Silicon Caretaker for the biological life of the galaxy, or stamp it all out under the power of your artificial superiority. New events, portraits, traits and other items round out the experience. The player is not the only one for which changes have come. The AI can now command something it might aspire to be, from caretaker to dominator. You might even encounter a Fallen Synthetic Empire, who may awake and offer help or resistance to your plans. Synthetic Dawn is accompanied by the 1.8 Čapek patch, which makes drastic changes to ship balance, adds new government options, and a host of other changes. The new story pack is available here, and the full patch notes for Čapek are available here.

Comments

• Pew Pew

I know a lot of people love Stellaris but I don’t understand it.

They made a micromanagement nightmare and then they force you to automate almost all of your planets in recognition of how much of a nightmare it is.

IMO it’s unplayable, telling a science ship to survey a system 1000 times is my lifetime limit.

September 21, 2017 at 7:52 pm
  • Libluini

If you Love 4x and haven’t played Stellaris yet, go get it! Also the story pack, of course. Seriously, I started playing as a robot empire Yesterday and today I’m late to Work because I just couldn’t stop playing. It’s addicting!

September 22, 2017 at 7:18 am
  • Froggy Storm

With the whole previous series on 60% sale I finally broke down and purchased Stellaris.

September 22, 2017 at 9:39 pm
    • Pew Pew Froggy Storm

Would be interested to know what you think when you’ve played it for a while.

September 23, 2017 at 3:15 pm
      • Froggy Storm Pew Pew

Well I’ve got 16hr in now, so just enough for the first blush impressions.

It’s a 4x with slow progression. It feels like a Pax Imeria reboot but a lot deeper. I can agree with y our statement that you have to let go and assign layers to automation. For me though, I like that aspect to really complex 4x play. There is so much going on that deciding what I can afford to let inefficiency by automation creep in, vs what I absolutely must manage, is a real factor.

It’s still early for sure and I have yet to get to my first crisis but for a fan of deep grind 4x play it seems to have some promise.

September 24, 2017 at 9:10 pm
      • Anon E. Moose Pew Pew

I’ve been playing it since April and love it even more than Civ6. (and I loved Civs 1 thru 4).

The latest patch made creating custom races a bit buggy, but that should get cleared up in a week or two.

September 25, 2017 at 4:04 am