Sort Dragon’s Titan Destroyed in Ambushed GOTG Move Op

mistwarden 2018-05-20

Header art by Empanada

Last night, Guardians Of The Galaxy was struck a blow with the loss of two titans, one of which was piloted by Sort Dragon, and a super for over 230B ISK of damage. A collection of dreads and Apostles were also lost. The fighting took place on a regional gate in Venal: WLF-D3 going into DKUK, a regional gate that otherwise takes three jumps to reach, and a prime location for the Imperium interception of the GOTG move op.

Sort Dragon's Avatar titan was destroyed.

For more details, we spoke to two of the Imperium FCs that were at the battle, and who have put the recent events into their own words.

Asher Elias

INN: Thank you for your time, the news has broken that Sort lost his titan, as well as Vikysya in an Erebus and an Aeon as well. or those who were not there, care to tell us what lead to this moment?

Asher Elias: The USTZ group of SIGs and squads from the Imperium moved from Pure Blind to Venal and started hitting Sort Dragon’s renters in Branch. In response, Sort Dragon decamped his entire alliance and moved them from D06H in Fade to WLF in Venal (where they have a Keepstar). You more or less have to take a gate from DKUK in Deklein to WLF in Venal. This was a move op, and we had a trap laid out to catch them as they jumped through that gate.

INN: I saw that the fighting was on the same grid as the Keepstar, was that decided to stop them from jumping in the support on top of the trapped supers.

Asher: It certainly helped, we were able to keep a catch bubble up the whole time so they couldn’t warp directly onto us.

INN: I’ve just checked Dotlan. Due to the distance, if you wanted to avoid taking that gate, you would have to take three jumps to go around to get from WLF to DKUK.

Asher: Yeah. It’s a big pain, so most everyone takes the gate.

INN: Do you think that this will result in a change, between the reduction of timers now making it faster and the damage that was dealt today?

Asher: What sort of change?

INN: Avoiding using that gate and jumping around instead.

Asher: Oh, well they’ve moved most of their ships already; this was the tail end of the move op. I’m sure they’ll be more concerned now for sure.

INN: Being the tail end, do you think they were getting lazy or tired and were taking more risks? There were no signs of any support fleets.

Asher: The last move ops just had fewer ships. The same thing happens in every alliance. No one gets hyped up to guard a move op.

INN: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Asher: Just that the emblematic nature of killing the actual leader of the alliance as his fleet impotently shoots a couple dreads on the other side of the gate while letting him die isn’t lost on me.

Apple Pear

We also reached out to Apple Pear for another perspective on the fight.

INN: Thank you for your time. Care to tell us what lead to this moment?

Apple Pear: Asher called for a fleet to reinforce some structures. But that was not the only goal. We had some dictors logged off on the DKUK gate in WLF, and a titan logged of in a system in Venal. Since we knew GOTG have been moving caps and supers during the day, we saw them forming a small moveop and we were hoping to catch some.

When they jumped the gate to WLF, we logged in the dictors and lit the cyno. Boat jumped in a dread and lit another cyno, and we got our dreads and Ishtars in, started killing the bus, and later the Aeon. Also killed some normal caps.

Boat also had a dictor, so he went into DKUK and bubbled the gate to make sure their reinforcements couldn’t arrive. During that time, Sort warped his titan down and hit the edge of the bubble. We got him tackled and jumped as many dreads through the gate as possible and killed him. We then extracted most of our dreads.

Asher was the FC for the fleet, DBRB and Kun’mi had the dictors on the gate, and DBRB jumped in the first dread we had to a hardened cyno. I was backseat FC for the Ishtars and also had a dread there myself. Sadly, I died in my dread just before I could jump to DKUK.

INN: I saw that Sort was in that bubble for five mins before Tackle arrived.

Apple: The Ishtars that jumped first bumped his titan so he couldn’t warp, and he couldn’t get to the gate.

INN: I see, thanks. From the Imperium side, there were a lot of big names working together to get results, while some alliances can’t have two FC in the same server room.

Apple Pear: Working together is the only way to get things done. Thomas Lear was there also to target call for the dreads. Zed did target calling for Ishtars mostly. If you want great results, you can’t do it alone

INN: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Apple: Nothing really. My next step is continue to have fun, the last few months (almost half a year now) has been one of the most fun times for me in Eve.

Comments

• Feiryred

That’s a boo boo…

May 20, 2018 at 2:43 PM
  • hurf

i want to know how loud and hyper dbrb was on global during this dunk

May 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    • Johnny Crowe hurf

It was probably bad.

May 21, 2018 at 6:08 AM
  • Dingleberry Jones

Couldn’t find anyone to speak for GOTG, or is this site just blatant propaganda now? Sort is not a fun person to play eve with or under, but at least try to get someone on the other side. Asher is one of the coolest and fun FC’s I’ve ever played under but, you really didnt need two FC perspectives outside of making it over a certain character amount for the article, or to stroke some FC ego.

May 20, 2018 at 11:24 PM
    • paramemetic Dingleberry Jones

I’m not sure what kind of spin you think is being applied to “goons blew up Sort Dragon in his titan” that would be balanced or countered in any way by a GOTG voice in this piece?

If you have information that somehow makes this narrative anything other than “Sort Dragon got blown up” I’d personally love to see a user submission on that.

May 21, 2018 at 12:51 AM
      • Dingleberry Jones paramemetic

Just that there was not even any sort of attempt at trying to get the other side’s comment. Bad reporting.

May 21, 2018 at 12:55 AM
        • paramemetic Dingleberry Jones

I’m not in any way certain that it is “bad reporting” because it doesn’t seek comment from both sides of the event, as the facts remain the same. There’s nothing that could be added here from adding another point of view. There aren’t missing facts (though there may be missing details – I for one am curious about why GOTG was gating supers around, for instance), there isn’t anything that it would add. Bad journalism would be compromising the facts of the story, tilting at windmills by trying to provide a narrative that is satisfying to everyone when the story itself, “Sort Dragon got blown up in a titan on a gate in his own home system,” needs no further clarification.

May 21, 2018 at 1:08 AM
          • Dingleberry Jones paramemetic

Hmm. I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding about how journalism works here. Have a good day.

May 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM
          • Dingleberry Jones paramemetic

There was a chance for this article to be far better than an ego stroking piece. An opportunity to go deeper into why this happened the way it did outside of simply the act of killing some famous eve player’s titan. There’s a real story here, a complicated one into empire building and eve politics and the ball was dropped. Sorry man, but googling “what is journalism” and giving me the first result inst really going to change how I view this site’s misguided use of journalism.

Facts are used, yes. But it’s missing the history that makes it important. Literal interpretation of events is not what makes an article great, it’s a multifaceted overview of the event with it’s history. If this was a breaking news piece it would have been fine. Unfortunately, this was presented as a proper article and my expectation was much higher.

May 21, 2018 at 1:22 AM
          • paramemetic Dingleberry Jones

Each single article does not, in fact cannot, possibly fulfill the entire narrative. Fortunately, we’ve been covering a number of happenings in the north lately, which can be read to gain a greater appreciation. I _personally_ may have used a different tack, but that doesn’t make this piece “bad journalism” by any standard.

If Googling “what is journalism” provides exactly information that supports my argument that should be fairly telling. It’s not like I had to dig deep into the ancient tomes to find something there.

That said, I’m not convinced that having a GOTG voice in the article would have facilitated a greater understanding of what is going on.

Again, we welcome user submissions and I would be happy to look at a piece that provides the context and depth you feel like we’re lacking here.

May 21, 2018 at 1:32 AM
          • Dingleberry Jones paramemetic

Good points, but my expectation is just higher I guess. Not really sure why I read the articles here. I just have a news feed that has this site in it and occasionally click the articles that are semi-interesting. I don’t frequent the site directly by any means, but this one was just overly disappointing considering the history.

May 21, 2018 at 1:45 AM
          • I’m pretty sure Sort is sick of getting shit on by everyone so he didn’t want to be interviewed about his titan loss. Also yes your misunderstanding how journalism works.

May 21, 2018 at 1:23 AM
          • Dingleberry Jones Carvj94

you’re*, or you’ll need to rewrite the sentence.

May 21, 2018 at 1:24 AM
          • Oh yea you got me good :p pointing out an error in my typing

May 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM
          • Dingleberry Jones Carvj94

🙂

May 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM
  • Montesinos Quixote

Has there ever been such a high profile kill, super embarrassing for sort dragon and his alliance that no one came in to back him up

May 21, 2018 at 12:07 AM
    • Dingleberry Jones Montesinos Quixote

That’s what happens when you burn every bridge you ever make.

May 21, 2018 at 1:00 AM