Extremely Rare Gold Magnate Dies in Placid

Sophia 'Alizabeth' S 2019-03-05

Header art by Major Sniper.

At 0224 EVE time on March 5, in the Placid system of Anchauttes, pilots from Pan-Intergalactic Business Community (PIBC) alliance killed a Gold Magnate. The ship, flown by Jalep Malukker of Exodus. Alliance, is one of the rarest ships in EVE, with this loss leaving only two in existence. Fredrick Vonhole, Nyan Katzy and Konstant1na of PIBC’s Darude Silentstorm corporation killed only the second Gold Magnate lost in combat ever. The loss may well be the most expensive killmail in a decade, and likely far exceeds the half-trillion ISK value zkill lists.

The Story of the Magnates

The Gold Magnates are among the most exclusive ships in EVE. Only one existed in the initial run: the prize for CCP’s first PVP tournament, the Amarr Trials in 2003. Won by Ecliptical, the victor of the tournament, the ship eventually made its way to Tyrrax Thorrk. The remaining tournament pilots each received a lesser ship, the Silver Magnates. Less than a year after the tournament, members of M0o corp killed Thorrk and his unique ship, on April 22, 2004.

For the 2016 Amarr Trials, held following the death of Empress Jamyl I, CCP re-introduced the ship. Each member of the winning team, Kelon Darklight, Lucian IV, Maxine Antilles and Wasa Qc, received a Gold Magnate. Once again, the other teams received Silver Magnates.

On June 18, 2017, Maxine Antilles quit EVE. Before he left, he created an alt named IQUIT FLYSAFEo7. This alt flew his Gold Magnate so that Maxine could destroy it on his main.

Wasa Qc named his Gold Magnate Tash-Murkon and garnered several kills with it. When Wasa Qc later quit EVE, he gave his Gold Magnate to Jalep Malukker.

“. . . but I don’t think that’s what the ship is for.”

After receiving such an incredible gift, Jalep Malukker set out to fly it. He told INN that “[a] lot of people told me I was crazy to fly it the way I did, that I should RMT it, whatever. But I really don’t think that’s what the ship is for.”

Determined to fly the ship, Jalep scored his first kill on Oct. 3 2018. Jalep kept the same name that Wasa had given it, feeling no need to change it on such an iconic ship. For months, Jalep would fly around Villirier and Aldranette in the Placid region, engaging frigates and destroyers solo.  In small gangs the Gold Magnate appeared on cruiser and even battleship kills. By March 4 2019, Tash-Murkon had, with Jalep in the pod, scored 36 solo kills.

Jalep had a blast. “It was a really fun ship to fly. Honestly one of the most enjoyable things was just seeing people’s reactions to it in space. A lot of people were just impressed seeing it fly around. Considering how down everyone can get on the game sometimes, it was nice to see people get excited about something. . . . It’s for PVP and having fun – that’s what I did with it.”

However, those kills led to Jalep Malukker’s loss. Konstant1na noted the activity by such an expensive ship in their hunting area and told Fredrick Vonhole. Fredrick came up with a plan, using Pyfa to game out what kind of tackle they would need: their normal Astero tackle and cyno ship would not be able to decloak, tackle and cyno. So, they decided on an alt in a Thorax for bait.

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Sometimes Go Amazingly Well

While the bait Thorax dangled in space for Jalep to engage him, the Asteros waited cloaked nearby. A mere 5 hours from the time Konstant1na decided to go after Jalep and his Gold Magnate, and for the now-famous Russian pilots, past 5 a.m., their patience paid off. Jalep, flying Tash-Murkon, engaged the bait Thorax, flown by Mighty Byr9t of the corp Academy of the Unseen Arts. The fact that he was not in the Pan-Intergalactic Business Community alliance no doubt helped him be better bait. By the time the Asteros, flown by Bazzinga Urahara and Le Falconer, decloaked and got a cyno up, the Thorax was in structure.

Nyan Katzu, Konstant1na, and Fredrick Vonhole jumped their Nidhoggur carriers in. Using neuts, as well as support fighters for more solid tackle, they quickly locked down Jalep. This allowed their Firbolg and Einherji fighters to destroy the Gold Magnate.

The bait Thorax survived.

As Zkill doesn’t list the abyssal mods, INN asked Jalep about his. While he states he doesn’t remember what the propulsion modules were, the stasis webifiers were faction modules and the small armor repair was a deadpace A-type. So, while a few hundred million added to the cost of the loss might not be a lot, it was lost.

Sleepy and Shaking

The pilots involved in this historic kill were left sleepy and shaking. INN thanks them for agreeing to the interview to get their perspective on this kill.

Nyan Katzu: I want to say appreciation to brave people who ride expensive ships. we respect them and we are lucky to have such enemies

Fredrick Vonhole: not even enemies

Nyan Katzu: lack of better word -(

Fredrick Vonhole: game partners?

Nyan Katzu: kinda

The high level of sportsmanship also extends to Jalep Malukker, who INN also thanks for the interview.

Jalep Malukker: “There is always an excuse to not take a fight. If you go about the game like that the whole time, it’s a lot harder to have fun. . . . Go out and get fights. The game is all about PVP, do what you can to make fights happen.”

Comments

• “We appreciate and respect solo PvPers who fly hyper-expensive ships.”

~*Drops multiple carriers to kill a solo dude in a frigate*~

This game has become so fucking disgusting.

March 5, 2019 at 6:37 am
    • George Ewing Ganthrithor

lol…. please…. is this the elite bitter vet bullshit speaking. get over it. games change. life changes. catch up or get out.

March 6, 2019 at 3:49 am
    • Zaand Ganthrithor

If you were in the game when mOo killed the first one and knew anything about mOo then you would know that they would have dropped a titan on the thing instead of just a Raven and 4 rifters. Fair fights and small gang PVP have always been nothing more than nostalgic myths.

March 6, 2019 at 7:22 am
  • DickDastardly

Komodo – 200 bill hull
    Gold Magnate – 500 bill hull.

Now I get the reason for the value given to the Magnate but would anyone ever pay half a trill for one? I guess they probably would but it’s not something that makes any sense at all to me. Wouldn’t most Assault Frigs beat the Magnate 1v1?

Dropping carriers to kill a frigate though is pretty lame. Zkill is a great site but it encourages this type of lame play.

March 5, 2019 at 8:32 am
    • Arrendis DickDastardly

It’s probably worth 50-100% more than that number, really.

March 5, 2019 at 4:18 pm
      • DickDastardly Arrendis

I still don’t get it though. If it was a God Mode Frigate it might make sense to me but it doesn’t appear to be and even if it was it’s still ‘only’ a frigate.

Looking at the kills they got with it, maybe I’m underestimating it’s capability, he did solo some t3d’s and assault, faction and navy frigates.

I probably shouldn’t try and compare it with practical things. You’re buying a Picasso, it sits on the wall like any other painting, the paint and canvas itself has no value but because it’s a Picasso it does.

March 5, 2019 at 4:49 pm
        • J Moravia DickDastardly

I think that last part is absolutely it. For you and me, a diamond has no inherent use, purpose, or worth. Its only attraction to us is that it is, comparatively, rare, and so people assign an exorbitant value to it far beyond what is assigned to other shiny rocks.

This is also a quirk of “worth” as a concept. In many real-life fields (such as real estate), worth is defined by comparing an object to similar objects; your house is “worth” approximately whatever comparable houses near it have sold for lately. But this inherently breaks down when you’re dealing with things that are unique or so rare that comparison is not possible, in which case “worth” is simply the amount that a person is willing to give up in order to have it.

March 5, 2019 at 4:53 pm
        • Arrendis DickDastardly

That’s exactly it. There are now 2 of these left. It’s a vanity piece. Like… a Dagon’s worth maybe 10b if you actually value out what it can do. I paid significantly more for mine late last year, because it was the first pirate Fax ever to drop.

Supply and demand.

March 5, 2019 at 6:55 pm
        • Arrendis DickDastardly

Just an FYI btw… using only un-mutated T2 mods where he’s got abyssal mods, the Gold Magnate’s faster than a Harpy or Jag, with good tank, webs, and 20km range using the multifreq… and hits as hard as a Navy Augoror (370 dps).

Scary little ship.

March 6, 2019 at 6:34 am
          • DickDastardly Arrendis

I realised after posting that I was simulating it on a char with only lvl 3 Amarr frigate and lvl 1 small beam spec and some other lvl 3 gunnery skills so I was missing a chunk of dps on it (I was ‘only’ seeing 230 dps)

For me though if I was spending 500 bill to 1 trill for a frigate I want it to be able to solo 80 bill Titans and for it to take out the 15 bill worth of ships that killed it ;o)

I appreciate function more than exclusivity. A Picasso print or copy looks the same as the original so the function is the same but for a tiny fraction of the cost. While the Gold Magnate is a great frigate, it’s still just a frigate.

March 6, 2019 at 7:18 am
          • But that’s the point to some people: it’s about the risk. Eventually just flying normal ships and fighting get stale. You have to keep chasing the proverbial dragon to get the same rush.

While I would never risk flying a 1 trillion isk ship, I get why someone would. I’ve soloed frigates with tens of billions of faction mods, officer fit T3s, and even my uber blinged out titan through hostile space, not because I thought I was invinceable or even very good at PVP, but only because I was bored with doing anything less risky. After all, it’s just a game and you can’t take the ISK with you when you log out (unless you’re and RMTing piece of shit).

March 6, 2019 at 7:27 am
          • Arrendis DickDastardly

Why? A 1.5b isk (fitted) Nid will die pretty ugly to 100 10m ISK catalysts if they can get a warp-in on top of it.

Effectiveness in EVE doesn’t scale directly with money.

And price is all about supply and demand. Scarcity matters.

March 6, 2019 at 8:30 pm
  • Zaand

Can’t wait for CCP to give out more of these. As far as I’m concerned, there was only ever 1 real gold magnate.

But serious props to the dude for flying it and losing it like a boss. I’m sure as hell not good enough to risk it.

March 6, 2019 at 7:15 am
    • Arrendis Zaand

Kill another Empress. 😉

March 6, 2019 at 8:31 pm
      • Super Duper Arrendis

Would be fun to kill state officials to further the faction warfare 8)

March 7, 2019 at 2:19 pm