Yokai Alliance – New Players Beware

Rhivre 2017-08-07

This morning, a tweet appeared on my feed from Greygal:

The tweet contained a screenshot of a corp-wide eve mail, sent by an FC in Yokai Alliance, who are based out of Great Wildlands.  The FC in question was instructed to send the mail by the CEO of the Alliance after they lost a fight last night for a citadel timer. The CEO was quite irate about the loss, and told him what to write in the mail.

The evemail is as follows:

Stealth Bomber

Yep, you read that right, they are asking pilots to pay $100 for PLEX to inject skills for stealth bombers.

This is the fit in the mail

A Reddit thread sprang up shortly after the mail went out, with, as expected, a lot of discussion of the topic. The FC who sent the mail has been receiving angry Eve mails from people who did not realise it was at the request of his CEO.

Several people involved one way or another with this alliance have contacted me with information regarding them, and I have tried to lay it out as best as I can below.

The Alliance CEO has since sent an eve mail saying that the tone of the mail was wrong, and that the tone should be “of encouragement, not of force”.  There is no mention of the content being wrong however.

Quite outside of this, there are a number of red flags for new players who want to join this corporation or alliance.

The CEO sells ships on alliance contracts to members, which, is perfectly fine, many alliances do this.  Usually,  for new players at least, there is no massive markup on Jita prices.

I also do not think many nullsec alliances would sell ventures to their new players.

Alpha Venture

The current price of that in Jita is around 6m ISK, at the time the contract was posted, it was 4.9m ISK.

Mining in a venture in NPC null is not on anyone’s list of recommended ways for a new player to make ISK.

I spoke to someone who was previously a member of the corporation, and they told me that when they joined, they were instructed to go to Jita to buy a condor, then fly down to Great Wildlands. Upon arrival, they need to, of course, get some ships. They were told there was no market, but that they could buy contracts like the one linked above.

Other contracts available include this caracal:

Caracal Contract

The current Jita price of the Caracal is 22m

For those more advanced players, there are Flycatcher contracts:

Flycatcher

You will notice that these contracts all have the same name on them.  Whilst there are, of course, shipping fees involved in moving things to nullsec, they are not anywhere near a cost that would justify this markup to alliance members. Especially for T1 entry level ships. The cost for Jump Freightering a cruiser hull into 92-B0X from Jita is under a million ISK.

As we know, PvP can be an expensive business, and, when you are flying ships to defend alliance assets, many alliances will operate SRP to allow pilots to recover the costs of their ships. This can be especially helpful for new players. The following exchange took place between the CEO and a new player (under a month old) who had just lost a ship in a fight. The fight was for a “backup citadel” that only the CEO had access to.  The members were just given the instruction to “come and defend” without an on-grid FC to guide them.  The CEO had placed bubbles at the citadel, and, being new players, they didnt know how to work with them, so they just warped on grid and were killed when they hit the bubbbles.

While it can be argued that the new player could have gone about asking for ISK slightly better, very few new player CEOs would respond like this. Most new player groups will provide free, or cheap ships for their new pilots. At the very least, they provide SRP, so that a new player is not bankrupted by the loss of a ship.  It says something about the assistance new players get, that this player thinks 15 million ISK provides him with some financial security.

This player would undoubtedly have been exponentially better off in any other new player group. Karmafleet, Pandemic Horde, Brave Newbies, Eve University to name just a few.

The CEO also has a flair for the dramatic.  After someone left the corporation, the individual still had access to the Discord server. Someone linked  The CEO responded to this by sending them an Eve mail titled “Illegal Unauthorized Access to a protected Yokai computer outside of the Eve game”
Yokai Assets

For reference, the United States Code they are referring to is this one, which, as far as I can tell (I am not a lawyer though), does not relate to Discord servers that your Eve corporation uses.  Protected computer also has a very specific meaning in legalese.

Greygal and Affirmative have been pointing refugees towards corporations that will take them in, and this has led the CEO to sell the situation to the members as Greygal trying to take down their alliance because she wants to take their space.  In NPC null of course, you do not own space.

A mail was sent to the alliance recently, telling them (in a whole lot of words) that how they were being treated was not how Eve treats its newbies, and that the Eve community does not like them being messed with like this.  The response from the CEO was to send a rather lengthy, pseudo legal jargon petition to CCP, claiming the author had violated the EULA by using “the Eve Community” in the mail, and could possibly have further violated it if people thought it was an official CCP mail. The petition closes with

“Accordingly, Petitioner respectfully requests that CCP sanction the offending player for violating the Eve EULA, comprising at least sanctioning all Eve accounts sharing a common email address, credit card, and/or IP address as the offending Eve character”

Regardless of where your loyalties lie in Eve, one thing all of us agree on is that screwing over new players is detrimental to the game. It drives them away, and this is bad for the health of the game. Of course, it also gives us fewer targets as they never skill up and venture out into the cold depths of space. Eve is a harsh game, yes, and we are brutal to each other at times, but, we are also a family, and we look after our young.

Surely they deserve better than being mass convo’d in a rookie system, then either left to die in highsec in the midst of wars, or plunged into NPC null with an alliance like this.

The structure in the original mail is coming into timer at around 0000 tonight, and already a large number of players are planning to be there.  Hopefully, the new players who are in this alliance manage to get out, and find new families to welcome them with open arms and show them how we really treat new members of our family.  Older players who have bought into this setup for various reasons (friendship of the other players in the group is something I have heard several times) will also likely be looking for new homes. Let’s show these players how proper corporations and alliances treat their members.

Some of the alliance members may try and participate in attacking the citadel tonight, so hopefully they get a chance to do so, if they wish.

There are rumours of other activities which Sarra has within New Eden, including a wormhole corporation, and another citadel in Great Wildlands. As yet both of these are unconfirmed, but we will continue to take a look at them.

Special thanks goes to Cole Winfield, Greygal and the other people I have spoken to over the course of the day, as well as the people who have been putting in effort to find out what is going on. The Crimson Privateers have been taking in a lot of the ex-corp members, and it was their concerns that led to this all beginning.

Comments

• Stephanie Daugherty

Disgusting. These newbies can do much better elsewhere, and hopefully will.

August 7, 2017 at 7:39 pm
  • Caleb Ayrania

Always puzzled how people end up in groups with these proto-psychopath armchair dictators. Even more so on why they stay..

August 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm
    • Kevin Headley Caleb Ayrania

easy, they are new in eve. a bit lost. a bit scared. and the first offer of help is from someone like this who seems helpful at the time, and offers a spot in a corp.

compare this to..say EVE Uni where newbros get scared of the key authenticators, signing up for websites, and interviews. stuff like API keys….are as foreign as black magic to people new to eve. Simplicity is appealing

and while E-UNI is good at explaining how to go about it, not everyone is comfortable asking, being how they are still processing all they just learned from the EVE tutorial.

once your in the corp, its like getting your first full time job. your terrified of losing it cause you have no idea what you’ll do, how you’ll survive, what will happen, if your not in it anymore.

so your likely to take your beating without complaint, and follow the corp to the grave. because your scared of the unknown

August 7, 2017 at 8:41 pm
      • Interesting take on the Uni, although in my roles involving student relations I never experienced the oppressive apprehension you ascribe to the new members, much less anything worthy of comparing in any way that experience to this current abomination.

August 7, 2017 at 10:03 pm
    • Arrendis Caleb Ayrania

The same way they fall prey to cults offline: the guy at the top acts friendly and helpful before you get in, and continues the facade once you’re ‘part of the family’. In fact, the more the outsiders point out the problems, the more he’s reassuring and calm, to make sure you know that no, of course it’s not true. They just don’t understand, and they hate you because they don’t understand.

August 8, 2017 at 6:00 am
  • Pew Pew

I love a good maniac.

August 7, 2017 at 8:02 pm
  • Moomin Amatin

On my way to 92-B right now.

Newbees must be protected!

August 7, 2017 at 8:03 pm
    • Caleb Ayrania Moomin Amatin

Hero Moomin to the rescue!..

August 7, 2017 at 8:18 pm
    • Imperium Romanus Moomin Amatin

I’ll be behind you – this treatment is shocking – they need to know there are better corps out there

August 13, 2017 at 4:30 pm
  • Kevin Headley

o7 thanks for the read. keep up the investigation, hopefully those newbros can get set up in a better corp

August 7, 2017 at 8:37 pm
  • Robert Ramage

The other citadel in Great Wildlands has come up and gone. They tried to hide behind a Timezone tank, but failed. https://zkillboard.com/kill/63932989/ Also, Manifesto. is willing to take in any refugees from Yokai.

August 7, 2017 at 8:52 pm
    • Rhivre Robert Ramage

Thats a Darkness citadel? in Wicked Creek?

August 7, 2017 at 9:22 pm
  • That, that right there… that’s some bullcrap right there.

August 7, 2017 at 9:07 pm
  • Verdis deMosays

Well written, clear, and concise. Sixth Empire reached out to Greygal, Cole, and the good souls of Crimson Privateers as soon as we found out about this. It will not stand, and Sixth will welcome all newbros from Yokai who wish to join. Just apply to The Gold Angels, and you’re accepted.

In the beginnings of my nullsec life, I flew with SMA and Karmafleet at various times. Usually cluelessly, and typically with lossmails aplenty on PvP fleets. They were SRPed and I got a lot of good advice. I was taken in as family, even if I was the paste-eating little cousin.

Now I’m the PvP director of Sixth Empire, I can comfortably solo and fleet PvP, and even metagame as needed. And it all started because of a couple of crazy little families yelling OOk OOK and SNOOOOO in local. That is eve, and I aim to show these folk that.

August 7, 2017 at 9:30 pm
  • Feiryred

Thank you Rhivre. This shit needed chucked into the light of day. Eve is full of shitbags, but there are things you don’t do. Driving new players away is certainly one of them!

August 7, 2017 at 10:11 pm
  • Johnny Crowe

Wow. Just fucking wow. Someone send those new players my direction and I’ll guide them in fifty different directions that are much fucking better than this corp/alliance. I fucking hate players that prey finacially on new players. Fuckin chicken hawks.

August 7, 2017 at 10:34 pm
  • Mintaki

First, Rhivre, I must say that was a good read, and kudos for picking that up and exposing this pathetic armchair dictator. To the rest of you reading, make sure you don’t allow Serra or their alts into any of your corporations when Yokai implodes from the exposure this has given on the abusive newbro scams this CEO is using on his own members!

August 8, 2017 at 12:59 am
    • Mintaki Mintaki

Oh, and Moomin, since I am working and cannot join you, send a few rounds down field for me too!

August 8, 2017 at 1:00 am
  • Fishbone

I love how he tries to quote statutes that he knows nothing of. Claiming his Discord Corp Server is a Protected Computer. Since when did Discord handle Government Information, or housed Financial Information? Maybe Discord also doubles has a interstate commerce computer that handles government or financial information

August 8, 2017 at 1:13 am
    • Rhivre Fishbone

Yeah, that was one of my favourite bits. Comparing clicking on a link to a discord server to accessing protected computers.

August 8, 2017 at 5:03 am
      • John Random Rhivre

Can you ask your contacts about the wh corp? I’m a director in Brave’s wh corp, and would be thrilled to organize something expensively explosive against these guys.

August 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm
        • Rhivre John Random

I will do. As soon as I can get more info on that, I will let you know

August 8, 2017 at 4:08 pm
          • John Random Rhivre

Awesome thanks.

You’re Rhivre in game, correct?

August 8, 2017 at 4:19 pm
          • Rhivre John Random

I am, yes

August 9, 2017 at 2:13 pm
  • Reload 🇨🇦

Great write-up! I will be mentioning this on my next EVE stream to reach as many newbros as I can. o7

August 8, 2017 at 1:49 am
  • Rhivre

worse, the ceo buys them below jita, and turns them around and resells to them above jita.

August 8, 2017 at 5:12 am
  • Games Lament

Good job bringing this to light. Hopefully this can reach the other outlets as well. Given the subject of the matter and all..

August 8, 2017 at 5:18 am
  • CarlGustav

I was so infuriated by this behavior,

I recommend all good players leave this corp the mail should be a BIG RED FLAG for you all Forcing everyone to use Injectors is borderline abuse GTFO.

I don’t think markup on Frigs is any problem (we don’t know when he bought them and in what bulk ) Cruisers is deeming tho. that is ~10M above what i would expect.

I would expect the markup on
    BC+ to be 10%
    CR to be 10-20%
    FF to be 20-30% (its so small cost and volume that i usually bought them in batches of 400 and market fluctuation can affect the value here a lot).

6m for a Venture in Jita end up in ~10m range offset 1m (+10%)
    22m Caracal should end up in ~30m range offset 10m (+33%)
    84m Flycatcher should cost ~100m offset 50m (+50%)

No i have made quite amount of ISK on fitting doctrine ships at resonable costs and this chocks me. Clearly i should have supplied ships to a near station of this bunch and made even more…..

August 8, 2017 at 6:39 am
  • Atomicnoob

I knew their would be another one. I knew it. I absolutely knew that their would be more people taking advantage of new eve players. This shows that action must be taken to hunt down these wretched corps and alliances that take advantage of newbies. I just hope that at least someone is actually doing something before it is not to late. o7

August 8, 2017 at 7:03 am
  • Каганов Сергей

Talking about reasonable prices – 105mils for Claw on contracts in Hak. Fair enough for 40mils t2 frig.

August 8, 2017 at 8:50 am
    • war fuckery as far as the eye can see. No but really thats because the swarm pretty much bought out Jita in certain things and people can’t keep up with supply and demand.

August 8, 2017 at 9:16 am
  • John Random

Ditto. I’m already asking around the various wh discords I’m a part of.

Would love to know which one it is.

August 8, 2017 at 3:48 pm
  • John Random

Michael, what’s your corp? I’ll ping you and your ceo when the organizing starts.

August 8, 2017 at 4:21 pm