Faction Capitals: A Poor Man’s Dream

Eve Faction Titans
Rauski Koraka 2017-06-17

While recovering from surgery last week, I took a moment to stop and assess the state of development in Eve Online. Looking back a lot of changes, improvements, and new content has come to the cluster in the last year. That being said, Eve Online is currently experiencing some minor growing pains. The game is in the middle of a lot of gameplay/balance changes that are taking a considerable amount of time to implement correctly. Alongside that, CCP is always pushing new content.

After the introduction and implementation of citadels into the game, there is no question that the next largest ongoing content introduction has been faction capitals.

New Toys!

Thus far, the Serpentis and Blood Raider Covenant capitals have been released into the cluster. The Serpentis now have a Dreadnought, a Super Carrier, and a Titan. The BPCs require to build them can be purchased directly from the Serpentis Corporation. The Blood Raider Covenant also now have a Dreadnought, a Force Auxiliary, and a Titan. The Blood Raider BPCs are obtained by destroying the new Blood Raider Engineering Complex sites. There is speculation that three Guristas Pirates capitals are likely to be released next sometime in the future.

What is so special?

These ships are intriguing. On top of already being built on the hulls of the biggest and most powerful standard ships in New Eden, they also boast some crazy mixed-racial and role bonuses like we have never seen before on capitals besides the Revenant. The Titans, in particular, are exceedingly more powerful than their standard counterparts.

The image above highlights on the scale of the bonuses for the Vanquisher. It has a lot of the same bonuses as the Erebus hull that it is based on, and in addition to those, it gets a Minmatar stasis webifier bonus. However, on top of it’s racial and standard Titan bonuses it gets a 1000% bonus to Capital Hybrid Turret damage, which is huge. That is ten times the bonus that the standard Erebus has at Gallente Titan level I, and still double at Gallente Titan level V. The Molok also has similar bonuses to its respective weapons systems.

The price and building requirements of these ships definitely reflect those bonuses. Only one Vanquisher has ever been destroyed, and ZKill values it’s hull at 300 Billion ISK. That price tag makes these Titans the most expensive single assets in Eve Online. Even the faction Dreadnought hull costs as much as a fully fit super. These ships are certainly reserved for the richest pilots in the cluster, as their price tag outweighs their practicality for most people.

The wrong dream?

I’m going to admit it. I am poor in Eve Online. I mean, I get by just fine. However, I am in no way even close to the level of in-game wealth of even some of my closest counterparts, let alone the ultra rich of New Eden. And that is fine with me because I only have so much time to play Eve with all of the other crazy stuff going on in my life. Even after several years, I am a somewhat casual player and that’s okay.

Where am I going with this? June 28th marks the one year anniversary of the first new faction capitals being added to Tranquility in the 118.6 release. One year of new content development has been spent to bring these ships to New Eden, and a lot more time is going to be used to release more.

This highlights the problem that I have with the development of these ships. A considerable amount of time is being used to bring them to the game. Too much time in my opinion to create assets that are only ever going to be used by a small percent of the player base. The closest I am ever going to get to a Vanquisher is on a killmail if I’m really lucky. I find it really hard to be excited for new content when said new content is not something I will ever get to use.  Why not create something else that can be more widely attainable and more useful to more players?

It’s not all bad… I guess…

Of course, I don’t think the Capitals are all that bad. In a way, their existence is cool. Just the thought of ships that powerful and that expensive. Along with that, work on the new NPC A.I. system have been the start of major changes to the game fostered in part by the new capitals, and that is good. However, why should I care? These ships only really exist to be some ultra-rich bitter vet’s endgame. I feel as though more focus of new content development should get to new content that benefits a lot of players instead of a select few.

Put simply, I want new content that will make me want to log in and work to eventually achieve in a reasonable time frame as a semi-casual player. Not something that I can only dream about.

Comments

• Uncle Dunk

Faction capitals seem like something that should be lower on the list of priorities

June 17, 2017 at 8:33 am
  • Pew Pew

How much time do you think it really takes to make these? A reskin and modding some stats? I don’t see how it would be that much work.

I do think it’s important to have things for the ultra-rich as they are people who are super into the game and super care about it and I’m glad they’re around.

I get what you’re saying and I think it’s reasonable but there’s been a lot of little ships released (ewar frigs and t3d’s) which are more accessible.

June 17, 2017 at 9:32 am
    • Rauski Koraka Pew Pew

I was eluding more to the amount of time between releases than the actual time it takes to create the ships. However, on the side of the actual work that goes into them it does need to be considered that CCP has to also create a system of delivery for the assets themselves. My main gripe with how they are releasing the content is the schedule that is being used. They are being pushed in big expansions that are spaced out instead of a time-frame that is more consolidated.

June 20, 2017 at 8:03 am
  • I’m not wild about pirate supercaps either (the game’s experienced more than enough power creep already over the last few years), but I doubt that releasing these hulls has consumed any significant amount of developer time: all they need to do is slap a skin on and edit some text fields. It’s not like the development cycles were spent painting red blotches onto an Avatar.

Spending months developing a new NPC AI, on the other hand… now there’s a waste of time. PvE will never be interesting: new AI will just make it more time consuming and tedious. There’s nothing interesting about blowing up NPCs– even when it’s “difficult.” I wanted to stab my eyes out after a couple of weeks of running incursions, for example. Was it more difficult / challenging than normal PvE? Sure! Did having to do 10x more work in order to collect bacon make for a better user experience? Nope! Would I have been much happier stalking and killing players? Yes.

And allegedly the next big expansion sounds like it will be highsec / PvE oriented? All I can say is, I hope other people care more about PvE than me.

June 17, 2017 at 9:00 pm
    • Imigo Ganthrithor

You’re right that these won’t have taken much developer time, but I can say from experience that there’s a bit more to designing new game tokens (aesthetics aside) than simply editing text fields. Having said that, there seems to be a standard formula for how the faction variants differ from the standard variants and what kinds of bonuses the faction variants get.

June 18, 2017 at 5:13 am
  • kennethfeld_eve

Math wasn’t your strong suit was it?
    Erebus is 180% damage per level – At gall Titan V, that is 900% damage
    Vanquisher is a straight 1000% damage, how the hell is that “Double”

Who the hell approves this shit for publication?

June 17, 2017 at 9:42 pm
    • Daito Endashi kennethfeld_eve

The resolution on the picture makes it look like a 100% bonus, I assume that’s what the writer saw too. That would fit the ‘double’ perfectly.
      Also, you might wan to rethink your choice of word. People become less likely to listen to you when you’re throwing insults at them. In any case, it’s just bad behaviour.

June 18, 2017 at 10:28 am
      • kennethfeld_eve Daito Endashi

I really don’t give 2 shits what you think of my choice of words. This is worse than CNN. At least CNN makes shit up, this guy had the ability to look at the data and basically can’t do math.

June 19, 2017 at 3:36 pm
    • Rauski Koraka kennethfeld_eve

The purpose of the adding the in the statistics was to shed light on the ships themselves for people that were unaware.They could be removed completely from article and the message it conveys as a whole would be unchanged. I will admit that I was impaired by strong pain medication (for the surgery I referred to in the first sentence) while writing that section, but I assure you that I can do simple math when not intoxicated on opioids. I did however misread the standard Erebus bonus which compounded the mistake when I added in the skill level scaling which lead me to the “Double” comment. Also, the bonus itself is similar to the bonus that the Molok gets, they are both fixed role bonuses. Why did the editorial staff catch this mistake before publication? That I can not answer. For the record, we are all human.

June 20, 2017 at 7:49 am
      • kennethfeld_eve Rauski Koraka

Why is it still nto fixed – instead of double, it should be 10%, instead of 10 times, it should be roughly 5 times and the MOLOK gets the EXACT SAME BONUS as an avatar – but over 4 turrets instead of 6, so the DPS is EXACTLY the SAME – but you infer the Molok get similar bonuses yet leave out the difference in turrets

June 23, 2017 at 4:14 am
  • kennethfeld_eve

Also, FYI you eluded to the Molok being the same, but the damage from a Molok is EXACTLY the fuckign same as an Avatar, Avatar has 6 turrets, Molok has 4, but do an analysis on per turret and they are the same, although each turret from the molok will have a higher individual alpha, that overall dps will be exactly the same

June 17, 2017 at 9:46 pm
  • Imigo

These big expensive ships are still accessible to the ordinary player, even alpha clone players, just not in the same way. They’re simply shinier, more expensive, targets to hunt and destroy.

June 18, 2017 at 5:14 am
  • Rolfski

Stats pictures are kinda useless if readers can’t click or zoom in on them. Which has been a problem of this website since day one.

As for the discussion, there needs to be a balance in releasing ships for the ultra-rich null-sec PVP-only player vs the rest. And right now that balance is off. There is still a shitload of stuff that CCP can do for the destroyer class for instance (where are the faction and pirate destroyers?), which would benefit a whole lot more players.

June 18, 2017 at 12:39 pm
    • Rhivre Rolfski

Usually they open in new tab. I will get this fixed.

June 18, 2017 at 3:10 pm
  • Caleb Ayrania

These things are not designed as “personal” end level content, they are group goal content. This is a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game, with actual group oriented and meaningful content. Sure a lot of problems on that front these days, when we have a Titans4Everyone policy from CCP, but the core ideas of EVE are not solo oriented. Personal goals will and should always be a lot smaller than such content.

That said, I do agree with OP, that CCP seem to do lazy dev work, by throwing in end level stuff, that seem to be aimed at, then letting the players create the content as some tricle down effect. Thus hoping that the little guy have a small enjoyment from these things, by vicariously taking part. I am not a fan of the utilitarian argument of catering to the most people, but we def could benefit in EVE from more ground up emergent gameplay.

June 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
  • Alot

Meh. If they were going for largest impact content they’d probably spend several releases revamping PvE missions.
    What I’d love to see would be the appearance of one or two unique cursed titans – (or rogue AI infested, whatever floats your space boat) which would decay and finally self destruct if not constantly fielded in battle.
    Make it some ascended-rogue-AI-core rigging which drops from high end null sec pve content and self destructs if not applied to a titan within a week. When applied, give unreasonably large defensive and offensive buffs to the titan, an infinite ammo mod and a toggalable auto-salvage tractor beam which would allow the infested titan to consume nearby wrecks for permanent buffs to max health, energy cap and minor buffs to defence.
    Make it that as time went on the ship would hunger for greater amounts of wrecks and if its hunger failed to be sated it would start to decay, decreasing the amount of hours it could safely be logged out before appearing afk in space and eventually just consuming itself to fuel the thirst.
    Unbalanced, requires near instant use, daily excursions and any alliance which went after it would obviously be intent on unleashing it shortly (probably on the neighbours) – plus you cant keep it for’evs. That’s how you create unobtainable ships which a large portion of the population will get the joy of “interacting” with.

June 18, 2017 at 7:37 pm
    • CK Alot

Why would you grind for something that never lets you enjoy your real life and play eve when you feel like it?

June 19, 2017 at 11:24 pm
      • Alot CK

You wouldn’t. The fact that the rigging would eventually destroy the titan on it’s own should dissuade most singular players from volunteering their titan for this.

This allows for a strictly corp level objective as it requires several pilots to volunteer to drive the thing on a day to day basis as well as instantiating conflict to fuel the titan’s need to nom wrecks.

June 20, 2017 at 8:42 am
  • CK

I wouldn’t call the dream unassailable; it just takes patience. Patience used to be a cornerstone of Eve. Planning skills so they came out while you were able to update then without losing training time, figuring out what to fly while you waited a month to get into the next hull you wanted, etc. Injectors brought us the instant gratification drug.

What I think CCP missed on this iteration of PVE is that it’s yet another time zone locked event. If your alliance runs the event in EUTZ and you are anywhere else in the world you simply aren’t able to participate. That kind of design issue should be a cardinal sin for a single shard universe.

The final thing is it that it makes CCP look like hypocrites. On one hand they offer up items for the .0001%, then they cry that they have to nerf those same players because they are ruining the game. If these players are so bad for the economy, why make all the new content for those same players?

June 19, 2017 at 11:42 pm