The Death of CO2 is a Death We Should All Mourn

2017-09-19

I’ve been in two wars, both times against Circle-of-Two (CO2). The first was as a member of the Imperium, specifically Tactical Narcotics Team (TNT), and the second as a member of Manifestodot. From my time in TNT, I can say that the lingering sting of CO2 defecting during World War Bee had not truly diminished, even to this day. As Manifesto found itself joining the Great Southern War against CO2 and Triumvirate, it would be a lie to say that I didn’t allow those feelings to manifest sometimes, remembering the sting.

That being said, the way that CO2 has died is not exactly the way I had anticipated or wanted. For all his shortcomings, gigX—executor of CO2—certainly did something that many in this game fail to do nowadays: he provided content. He was a loose cannon, a wild card in almost every sense of the word. His actions one day might be flipped completely the next day, and as such to say he could be predicted is pretty much a lie from everyone. You could predict gigX’s actions about as well as you can predict “The Big One,” the earthquake the San Andreas fault has been waiting for for over a hundred years now. Simply put, you can’t do so.

He brought content at the expense of being trustworthy. He acted without a regard for those around him, searching for a way to improve his own standings and to get what he wanted in the end. His joining of Legacy Coalition was to improve the power of CO2, not the other members. His decision to go to war against the Drone Regions was made for him to have more renter space, claiming ownership of those systems to the point of channeling Arcturus Mengsk (“I will rule this sector, or see it burn to ashes around me!”) Only Feythabolis wouldn’t have been the only thing burning in that regard; he admitted he’d let his own alliance die if he didn’t get what he wanted.

Well, gigX got his wish. CO2 is no more, effectively disbanded because of his hubris and his lack of thinking.

No one can say that Russian and other former Eastern Bloc people aren’t hot-headed. This is something attested to more than once by people in those regions. They sometimes let their mouths and fists fly before their brain catches up. During TheJudge livestreaming CO2’s alliance chat, gigX was caught asking for the real-life information for TheJudge, and made a comment about seeing him in real life ‘soon’, as well as he should enjoy using his hands ‘while he can’. The obvious implication is that something untoward is going to happen to TheJudge, specifically his hands. For his momentary lapse of judgment, gigX has since taken a permanent vacation from the game, which according to CCP Falcon, is not likely to be overturned.

This really is one of the few times that CCP employees have said anything concerning a suspension or ban of a player. In truth, the only other person I can think of was The Mittani, who in 2012, during a Fanfest panel gave out the in-game name of a player who had been harassed by Goonswarm members. “Incidentally, if you want to make the guy kill himself his name is The Wis…find him,” he’s quoted as saying. Following backlash, The Mittani made a heartfelt apology, and only received a 30-day suspension. CCP made it clear that them talking about this incident was a rare occurrence, because it involved a member of the Council of Stellar Management, and it had been made public via recordings uploaded to YouTube. In reality, it was likely seen as a way to get back at The Mittani for his very effective use of third-party media outlets during the infamous Monoclegate, which cast a negative light on CCP during that time.

Player Stunt Flores has taken a semi-permanent ban from CCP over someone else creating a meme, in which CCP Fozzie is made out to be saying, “People just need to learn to adapt and wait for the fixes.” He didn’t make the meme, but was banned because it had started with him, and he was ‘impersonating’ a CCP employee. But, CCP noted, he was free to make new accounts to play on…he just couldn’t have his old accounts back.

Player erotica1 was banned for what became known as the “Bonus Room” debacle, where he’d scam players out of everything in-game and record them doing things to get it all back on Teamspeak, only to upload it once they figured out it was a scam. A CSM member wrote a blog about this, blasted it out, and in the end erotica1 was banned, with a logic-defying explanation from CCP that he had used in-game channels to facilitate the scam, and even though erotica1 had used third-party sites/VoiPs to record things, it was still a violation.

IWantISK bankers? Permanently banned for RMT.

Now let’s make something clear, I don’t condone what was said by gigX in the least, but I’ve been known to say stupid things in the heat of the moment. And that’s just what it was, a heat of the moment exclamation. Everyone can recognize that, and it would warrant, in the opinion of many including myself, a month-long suspension from the game. Instead, CCP responded with a permanent ban. In the incidents I listed above, CCP was public about the reasons, and they sort of had to be because…the incidents themselves were rather public. But the banning doesn’t seem consistent. I mean, the actions of erotica1, for example, are not the same as The Mittani. I would argue his actions were far less in that regard, and yet he took a larger punishment in comparison.

But there’s one incident I know about, not publicized, that really shows the lack of consistency. Around the time of The Mittani’s faux pas, I had just left the corporation Rebirth(dot). Some people may remember it and it’s CEO, Kai86. Kai86 was not a good man. He had a plethora of personal and real-life problems, which he routinely took out on corp members. Those who didn’t have thirty alts were especially hard-hit by his shifting the blame for his mistakes. In one instance, he blamed me for his Bhaalgorn dying because he had decided to bait on the Hek undock, and war targets were spotted in Rens with some shiny ships. He ended up jumping a gate with about five of us before he realized he was still suspect. Our neutral logistics were still suspect and docked in Hek, and Kai86 ended up dying unceremoniously because we couldn’t save him from the people shooting him. He blamed me for being in a Caracal at the time, acting as a scout for him. Had I been in a battleship, he reasoned, I could have rep’d him and saved him…despite the other battleships being neut fit, and none of our doctrines having reppers in the utility highs. It led to me leaving Rebirth(dot) soon after this situation.

I joined a corporation, Under the Wings of Fury(dot) (UWOF) as run by Zero Threat, a former friend of Kai86’s and a former CEO of Rebirth(dot). In fact, Zero Threat had been the founder, and had given up leadership to Kai86 in order to do real-life things. Upset that many of us had left him for UWOF, Kai86 ragedec’d us. When the war went live, we met in Perimeter, where Kai86, cloaked in a Rapier, spoke in local, taunting us and saying he wouldn’t fight us when he had three guys on and the neutral logi. Laughing, our response was to say we’d just post in his mercenary thread on the old forums. Kai86 couldn’t stand that. He singled out Zero Threat, a man who lived close to him, and said he’d sexually assault Zero’s fifteen-month-old daughter. Naturally, this stopped being funny to us. We reported it. Kai86 received a 30-day suspension on one of his accounts, and the rest were allowed to roam free, despite us providing this information to CCP.

Maybe at the time, CCP was more interested in just slaps on the wrist. Who knows? Maybe now they’ve decided to be harder on people. What matters is that people have said worse, and received fare lighter sentences.

This leaves CO2 without their leader, which many would agree is a cult of personality. In fact, the decision was made today to all but disband CO2. Maybe in time gigX could come back, but for now he’d take a five month break. Many all over the game are supporting a weaker punishment for gigX, saying what he said was a statement of passion, where reason doesn’t exist. I’d support this argument.

However, this is not the way CO2 should have died. Sure, CO2 was known for stabbing people in the back, and it is almost poetic justice that the alliance dissolves because of a betrayal of such scale. But CO2 was around for almost a decade, and brought content to this game, something lacking in many ways. Even this decision to do to war with arguably the strongest rental empire in the game was content. CO2 should have died the way they lived, fighting. I would say this about any group that died in this way.

Those celebrating the death of CO2 should keep in mind that content was created by him and his alliance. TheJudge’s decision is likely born from the constant antacids he probably had to take, as I’m sure gigX made his job at least ten times harder as head diplo. But we have lost a legacy in this game, in the most uninteresting way imaginable. Speaking from the other side of this war down south, where we fight against both CO2 and Triumvirate, I can say that this is not how we should want any war or alliance to end, even Pandemic Legion or Goonswarm Federation. It might be remembered as arguably the largest alliance heist in the history of EVE, but it will also be remembered as the death of content and of an alliance that, with all their faults, still brought destruction to a game where destruction is becoming less and less common. Players like gigX keep this game entertaining, even as CCP adds more features that tend to dry it up.

Comments

• Daniël van den Hoek

Totally agree on this. I can’t believe peopld say it’s good for them to be gone. That’s like taking the sith out of star wars…

September 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM
    • Just gotta find a new sith. Lots of targets in null.

September 19, 2017 at 3:18 PM
      • Daniël van den Hoek Carvj94

Well, I hope someone will start a fight. We’re at the blue doughnut + Tri again

September 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    • Falin Whalen Daniël van den Hoek

There are always two.

September 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM
      • Daniël van den Hoek Falin Whalen

Thats true. But shame the rest is aligned with either one of them. I really hope the East would wake up and pew pew some stuff

September 19, 2017 at 7:20 PM
  • Ralli600

A good article. I also agree that with the ban of gigX it has another bawandnis. CCP can only be required to be more transparent. Threats that were made in the heat of battle and the excessive pain of treason suffered should be generously ignored. Only those who are able to do so are truly wise. If all the people who were threatened in this way had been threatened badly, the world would only be half as populated.
    CCP please show true size and terminate the permanent ban of gigX after a reasonable time. Please think really carefully and be transparent.

September 19, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    • Carvj94 Ralli600

He committed two bannable offenses within a few days. RL threats and publishing a GM’s private response to a player (can’t do it even if it’s to you). GigX isn’t getting unbanned just because he’s important. That’d be unfair to everyone before and after him who gets banned for the same reasons. Frankly if you think he didn’t deserve to be banned your a silly person who didn’t see or look up everything he did to get banned. There was a lot of threats.

September 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    • Mintaki Ralli600

Until we see on the news a gamer from EVE was beaten to death, or within an inch of his life and CCP never responded to the many threats made by the assailant(s) or leader of the assailant(s)? Sounds like a good plan.

September 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM
  • Calduron Vorn

“In reality, it was likely seen as a way to get back at The Mittani”

This sounds so bonkers.

September 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM
  • Xa1n

Good article and well said. I don’t however agree that the issue around what someone said in the past needs to be repeated over and over again when things like this surface. It only brings up old wounds when you should ‘let sleeping dogs lie’. If you understand what that saying means.
    Also the people that work at CCP are changing every few years or so while we the players remain embedded. So how things worked years ago has now changed slightly. Also the people that make decisions at CCP are no longer the same. So this should be taken into consideration. I don’t think that CO2 is dead either. They will rise again like most alliances have in the past. Now lets not be quick to forget who received these ill gotten gains – GOONSWARM.

September 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    • Carvj94 Xa1n

CO2 is worse off than as BOB was back in the day. BOB was simply disbanded. It’d have been easy to reform but they had a huge moral hit. CO2 can’t simply reform or rebuild cause they no longer have all the pieces to rebuild. Gigx was the only one who wanted to lead CO2 and he’s out. So CO2 coming back just won’t happen.

September 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM
  • Vertigoe

Content creation is not an excuse for bad or toxic behavior. He is gone by his own actions and no one else is to blame. If he could control himself we would be speaking differently of co2 right now, about how they were gonna rebuild, where are they
    Moving to next etc.. But because he thought it was acceptable to threaten physical violence against another player he is gone. Those that think this is ok better take note.

September 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM
  • hurf

I don’t see the author for this article, mistake or on purpose?

September 19, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    • Arrendis hurf

It’s a user submission, let me see if I can dig and find who submitted it.

September 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM
      • Vedran Maric Arrendis

Yes find him and ban him from Imperium he is not following Mittens rules, and yes you guys are brainwashed idiots

September 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM
        • Rhivre Vedran Maric

TIL Manifesto. are Imperium. Has anyone told them yet?

September 20, 2017 at 10:48 AM
        • Arrendis Vedran Maric

Which rules are those, exactly? Mittens doesn’t determine what goes out on INN. The editors do.

September 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM
  • Arrendis

And that’s just what it was, a heat of the moment exclamation.

That might have been what it was the first time. He did it repeatedly. Over seven hours. Including threats to travel or send people to Vegas and Iceland.

And then he published the GM’s message to inform him of the ban. That, by the way? Will get you banned.

I get that it seems excessive to people, and if it was just the initial ‘heat of the moment’ statement, I think CCP would likely show some clemency after the first few days. But he kept compounding it. Has there even been an apology beyond him telling his alliance members ‘I’m sorry this happened?’

September 19, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    • Frans Bovens Arrendis

I agree, if anything it woudl the ccp, gigx and possible the judge as victim. If the judge coudl say, ok , heat of the moment and i nailed him on the cross, but this is to big a ban… then ccp might work with that and gigx. But because you run an allaince you shoudnt be delt differently from all the banns noone knows about, cause there has been way more

September 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    • Dirk MacGirk Arrendis

I’ve yet to see the full array of threats attributed to him. Saw enough, but keep hearing about more. Like the Vegas/Iceland sending people one I haven’t actually seen. Then again I never saw one that said “chop” or “cut” off hands, but various media jumped on both words as the supposed method of removal. Personally, I was thinking hammer time, or a meat grinder, but I have my own imagination. And I’m also not sure it should surprise anyone that anger and shock can last for more than a minute. Especially in an environment where the situation was continuing to unfold.

As for the apology, I will say this because I am an understanding soul: I saw an apology written in a person’s own hand and using a second language. He could have issued something cleaner that had been worked by someone from a western culture using better engrish, but he didn’t. So at least everyone has that to hang their hat on. Hit apology wasn’t as eloquent and all-encompassing as they would have liked. If it had been, would the tribalistic opinions change? Doubtful.

In the end, he said what he said and the hammer came down within CCP’s discretion. Can’t argue with that.

September 19, 2017 at 9:22 PM
      • DickDastardly Dirk MacGirk

Even without hearing ‘chop’ I implied it.

Saudi Arabia chops/cuts the hands off thieves, The Judge stole the Alliances assets and any talk about hands seemed to suggest a desire for Saudi ‘justice’. Was if a ‘figure of speech’ or was he serious? I guess it doesn’t really matter. If he’d said it to me or any of the other threats, I wouldn’t feel threatened.

I’m sure most people here have said they’ll kill someone if they’re late again or if they make the same mistake again but that’s generally not reported to the authorities as a genuine death threat.

The EULA is clear, you can’t do this sort of thing in game (unless you do it to CODE. members obviously, CCP appear to be fine with that). If gigx has had a temp ban in the past a perma one seems in order but if he’s just been warned and not banned the perma ban seems a little excessive but understandable in the circumstances with it being threats to an easily identifiable CSM and where both parties regularly attend real world events.

September 19, 2017 at 9:44 PM
        • Dirk MacGirk DickDastardly

IDK, “chop” seems so unimaginative if we’re going to decide the method and place it in a gaming media headline. Coulda been “EVE Player Banned After Threatening to Have Another Players Hands… gnawed off by pitbull or placed on train tracks.”

September 19, 2017 at 9:51 PM
          • I interpreted it as as smashing hands “Casino” style, guess peoples mind will fill in the blanks in various ways

September 19, 2017 at 10:44 PM
          • i keep thinking of this when people talk about gigx and his threats about either chopping hands off or not… xD

September 20, 2017 at 2:01 PM
          • Dirk MacGirk Gee

so good

September 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM
      • Dirk MacGirk Dirk MacGirk

After going back to re-read the apology, it actually seems like a decent apology, and written better than I recalled.

“Hello Eve community. I am writing this message to explain and apologize for my recent behavior during the events happened on September 11th over The Judge flipping our alliance staging to Goonswarm Federation. I have led Circle-of-Two since 2008 and as I mentioned over multiple occasions, this alliance is all I am playing for nowadays. I have accomplished everything there was to accomplish for myself in the game, and my current goal is to create content and make sure that my alliance members can also accomplish their goals. The transferring of the keepstar and the theft of our assets doesn’t necessarily hurt me as much as it hurts every single member of this alliance that has put time and effort into building what CO2 is today. I am protective over my members and sadly I let my feelings get the best of me as I didn’t want my members to pay for mistakes I have made during our time together these past few years. With that said, I hereby apologize to the everyone in the Eve member community, CCP, and even The Judge for my poor choice of words and my reaction that morning. I am the executive of Circle-of-Two and my members did not deserve this and hope I can be forgiven for my overreactions. I am sorry.

-Gigx”

September 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM
        • Vertigoe Dirk MacGirk

The apology as I read it seems sincere and I believe it. It would not bother me either way if in the future CCP decided to let him play again. If they decide he is done and that is that I am ok with that decision too. I am not indifferent to him playing, I will just let CCP handle this issue to their satisfaction,

September 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM
        • Bill Vesée Dirk MacGirk

[19:43:48] Darko Subotic – gigX: we checking one more thing
          [19:43:53] Darko Subotic – gigX: but anyway
          [19:44:04] Darko Subotic – gigX: we will visit him soon
          [19:44:49] SaraRae: irl?
          [19:44:56] Darko Subotic – gigX: ofcourse
          [19:44:59] Darko Subotic – gigX: he is close
          [19:45:19] Darko Subotic – gigX: We cannot punish him in game
          [19:45:24] Darko Subotic – gigX: but irl we can

September 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM
        • Moomin Amatin Dirk MacGirk

An apology should be directed to the injured party and not through public statements. The same thing happened to me. Some people in essence libeled me and the so called apology was a public display. No one ever apologised to me directly or even seemingly made an attempt to. Therefore I do not accept the apology as it nothing more than a sham. The same is true for the so called apology from gigX.

September 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM
          • Axhind Moomin Amatin

Poor little moomin. Show us on this doll where bad people touched you. :p
            Seems that your reputation is still intact so obviously they did not do any damage.

September 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM
      • Mintaki Dirk MacGirk

I still find it funny that we’re debating the particulars of this: the implication was physical harm whether it was to ‘chop’, ‘smash’, or otherwise relieve him of the ability to use his hands. It happened numerous times over the course of several days and while a heated reply can indeed last more than a few minutes and he did apologize, the fact that his mind even delved to the level of requesting real life information for a real life visit solidifies the intentions and makes the apology much less sincere in my eyes.

September 21, 2017 at 12:35 AM
  • Caleb Ayrania

Of all the apologetic arguments the “Content Creator” is the worst. There is no loss of content at all, there is more likely a huge “wife/husband beater” power vacuum that will need to be filled, and the only down side would be timing wise, it might slow things in the CCP rebuilding of EVE months.

September 19, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    • Dirk MacGirk Caleb Ayrania

yeah the fact he was a content creator or not doesn’t matter insofar as justice is concerned. Literally the worst excuse. Lone hisec miner or alliance leader/FC shouldn’t even come into play. Nor should the status of the “victim” in that regard. Not when it comes to CCP. Now for the rest of us, I really couldn’t care less if he kept his alliance hoes in check. Sometimes a CEO needs a strong pimp hand.

September 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    • Axhind Caleb Ayrania

That is because the intelligent explanation of “people get pissed when you destroy everything they have worked for for nearly ten years” is not considered as valid. You can be sure that BoB crowd carries a grudge against GSF and that they have most likely used similar language but it didn’t get leaked so it’s fine. And I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of people in GSF have used the same from time to time.

If you would jail every person who at some point or another made a “threat” most of us would be in jail, including the police and judges.

September 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM
      • Lord Douchebag Axhind

WAIT for BOB 3.0. with Gigx at the tip of the phallus.

September 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
      • Mintaki Axhind

The defining part of this issue, which I continue to see left out of the “save gigX” sides argument, is the deliberate attempt to obtain TheJudge’s location and the continued commentary about ‘visiting’ him in real life. I don’t think the intention of this ‘visit’ was for tea and crumpets.

September 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM
        • Axhind Mintaki

gigx is in Serbia while Judge is in Australia. Just how likely do you think it all is? He raged and now he is cooled down. That’s about it. Judge tried so hard to sound like he took it seriously but you could hear on his voice just how seriously he took it. Everyone knew it was empty threats due to rage.

September 21, 2017 at 4:16 AM
          • Rhivre Axhind

The CSM summit is in Iceland, and it was said twice that Gigx would get a ticket there.

I assume both people from Serbia and Australia are allowed to go to Iceland?

September 21, 2017 at 4:39 AM
          • Axhind Rhivre

Yea but that is far in the future. He cooled down after the first day. Based on possible proximity in the future every single threat should lead to jail time just in case which is sort of absurd.

September 21, 2017 at 4:44 AM
          • Mintaki Axhind

You’re doing an awful lot of justifying here. Threats have to be taken seriously because there have been several instances where people thought like you and were proven wrong when the person showed up at their door to deliver promised beatings.

You seem to know an awful lot about gigX’s state of mind, when he’s cooled down, etc. He didn’t seem cooled down as he continued (even later that day) to make threats.

September 23, 2017 at 6:37 AM
  • Falin Whalen

That third paragraph, makes me wonder, how that man got anybody to follow him at all. Christ, if you’re going to write a pitty piece about a dude, don’t make the guy look like an unstable, duplicitous, twat-waffle, out only for himself, and to hell with anybody else including his own people.

September 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    • Mintaki Falin Whalen

Upvoted simply for the use of twat-waffle.

September 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM
      • Falin Whalen Mintaki

If the shoe fits.

September 21, 2017 at 4:02 AM
  • Deni'z Von

Strange but gigx was treated as a criminal who has already made a criminal actions. And he was judged to the death. TheJudge took all his in-game stuff and CCP nailed it down to ban his accounts including IP.

September 19, 2017 at 9:39 PM
  • OrcOgreGoblinShit

CCP is garbage shit for not giving a 30 day ban

September 19, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    • Bumpy Dog OrcOgreGoblinShit

A well argued and articulate response. You must be proud.

September 22, 2017 at 6:38 AM
  • GS Total Newbie

CO2 Failing right now has nothing to do with the banning (rightfully so, but maybe not forever) of GigX. CO2 failing at this time is the lack of folks over there with an iota of balls to try to step up to the plate. For all those saying how great GigX was, this failure and impending failscade of CO2 counters that argument, because the people under him seem incapable to lead or step up. If we lost Mittani, GSF would not failscade, because the people below him are empowered to do what they need to do.

September 20, 2017 at 1:25 AM
    • Falin Whalen GS Total Newbie

To be fair, it sounds like GigX would have thrown anybody that had an iota of competence for leading an alliance out. as it might steal his thunder so to speak. Hell, he was being robbed blind by the guy managing the moons for his alliance
      and didn’t understand or didn’t care, because that wasn’t the fun job of him being a great general on a white horse riding at the head of his aliance. Which is probably the reason he kept going on and on about not getting his fair share of the moon spoils, not having enough renter space, and why the SRP fund was always screwed.

September 21, 2017 at 4:01 AM
  • Bill Vesée

Seems to me that The judge is creating a lot of content, specially for poorly inspired writters.

September 20, 2017 at 9:52 AM
  • Lrrp

I don’t know what the lament is all about. BoB died a much more inglorious death and I don’t remember much any one shedding liquid salt over it. CO2 was a turncoat bastard organization that when things turned a little dicey, they skedaddled out of town. Any honorable CEO of a member corp should of found a better alliance to be part of. As it is I find CO2’s disbandment a fitting end to a worthless operation. The only ones I lament are the individuals that got screwed having to fire sale stuff. OTOH I guess they now know the value of being part a alliance that doesn’t duck out the back door at the drop of a hat.

September 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    • Bumpy Dog Lrrp

up vote for the use of the (correct) word: skedaddled

September 22, 2017 at 6:37 AM
  • DevilDude

I think your claims of inconsistency are a little specious, while there is inconsistency it is somewhat justified by context you’re ignoring. In the case of the Mittani’s ban, he was drunk, on stage, trying to play up a ‘character’ for the crowd, it happened once and he immediately apologized and tried to recompense the injured party himself upon sobering up.

In Erotica1’s case the offense was repeated, premeditated, and never apologized for. I personally don’t think he should have been permabanned for it, I think simply being told to stop should have sufficed but CCP clearly thought he’d crossed a line.

In GigX’s case, the threats were initially made in the heat of the moment but then repeated and followed up on. What’s more GigX made pretty specific requests to thousands of players for information pursuant to locating another player with the implied purpose of harming them. Then compounded the ban by doing the one thing we all know makes the ban permanent; publishing CCP correspondence.

The only outlier I see is your personal story, and I think it’s coloring your interpretation of the others. The bad actor in your story SHOULD have been IP banned immediately and that he wasn’t is really down to you getting a lackluster GM on the case. Though you yourself point out that internal policies might have changed and we can’t really discount the biggest factor here: publicity. The fact that the three other incidents were so public probably forced CCP to act much more cautiously and with far greater finality as they can’t be seen to change a strong decision once it’s made in public.

September 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    • Richard Hicks DevilDude

very well put together rebuttal up voted

September 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM
  • Richard Hicks

7 hours is a bit excessive to call it a heat of the moment exclamation.

Firstly: a moment in the strictest sense is only 90 seconds.

Secondly: 7 hours worth of consecutive threats is excessive especially because he threatened to attack him in Vegas ; and Iceland

Thirdly: due to the length of time he was threatening The judge and the fact he was trying to get his home address Gix could face sever charges if The judge ever decides to press them.

Fourthly: He didn’t just threat the judge he also posted GM conversation to the CO2 forum that in of it self is a bannable offense.

Fifthly: From what I understand in the time GIX has been with eve he has been baned at least once before for violating the TOS so a complete perma ban is a perfectly acceptable response in this situation

September 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM
  • Arrendis

That’s right, he poured a decade or so of time and effort into that alliance. If I were him, I’d still be pissed. But if I’m pissed off enough to be issuing threats more than six hours later?

That is not ‘the heat of the moment’. That is a far more serious case of rage. If you can’t get a hold of yourself enough to not be making threats of violence against someone over a video game six hours later, there is something seriously wrong with your self-control.

September 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM